childhood cancer

childhood cancer

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Looking on the bright side

Evening everyone. I had my couple of days away - got home last night.  It was, as far as it matters, a really good couple of days.  The only  shame is with so much on my mind at the moment, I possibly didn't take as much from it as I otherwise would.  Still, a lot of people put themselves out to give me a great opportunity, and I managed to tear myself away from home to get out of it what I could.  I don't fancy too much time away in the near future though.

Luke is doing really well right now.  We have wound the morphine down, and he seems to be fine.  He is eating pretty well, sleeping well, and is really happy the rest of the time (as long as he is getting attention!).  His hair is getting thinner and thinner - definite clear bald spots now - but there don't appear to be any other significant side effects quite yet.

The plan, such as it is, is to try again next week to do what didn't happen this week.  So, the hospital is trying to schedule the surgery for a new hickman line on Monday, and chemo should then commence on Tuesday.  At least we get another weekend with Luke before the next round of chemo.  I can't deny that I am worried about what is happening inside him while this new delay plays out further, but I am trying to look on the positive side.  His immune system should be recovering, and my Grandad is meant to be visiting this weekend, which will be fantastic.  I have been trying to work out when I will get chance to visit him, as its been a good few weeks since I saw him.  With so much going on with Luke, it is just hard to find time to do anything else.  We lost my Nan to cancer earlier this year, and I do worry about Grandad.  Getting to spend some time with him, Luke and Letitia will make it an extra special weekend.

So, in a nutshell, things haven't really moved on in the last few days.  But, as I say, Luke is in a good place right now, so lets just enjoy it.  Hopefully next week will bring progress with the treatment instead.

By the way, we are just about at the minimum amount which should mean we get some money in a few weeks for the advertising revenue from this blog.  As I said, we will use that to donate to relevant charities.  So, keep having an occasional click on the adverts to raise more, and have a think about which charity you want to receive it.  I will think about the best way to do it, but as it is everyone reading this that is raising the money, I will let you decide.  Just give me a bit of time to decide how to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment